Fatal subdivided flat fire highlights need to tackle substandard homes: minister

A fatal fire at a subdivided flat on Thursday has highlighted the need to eradicate substandard housing in Hong Kong, the housing minister has said, noting that affected residents had an average living space of just five square metres (54 sq ft).

Secretary for Housing Winnie Ho Wing-yin was referring to Thursday’s blaze in a subdivided flat that killed one resident and injured four others, saying it underscored the importance of the new Basic Housing Units Ordinance.

“In the flat [where the tragedy occurred], each resident had an average living space of just 5 square metres, presenting numerous fire safety hazards,” Ho told a radio programme on Saturday.

Advertisement

“If there is an average of one to two people per unit, meaning over 10 people in a flat, the risks regarding the impact of dense smoke and potential casualties are extremely high. This is why we must make a firm resolution regarding the basic housing units.”

Authorities earlier revealed that the blaze-hit flat measured about six by eight metres (19.7 by 26.2 feet) and had been partitioned into nine separate living spaces, with the fire breaking out in the rearmost area.

Advertisement

Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs Alice Mak Mei-kuen said on Saturday that authorities had set up a shelter at one of the community centres to accommodate affected residents.

The Basic Housing Units Ordinance took effect on March 1. In the first 10 days, only one landlord had come forward to seek certification approval, the Housing Bureau said.

  

Read More

Leave a Reply