US to send 5,000 troops to Poland, Trump says, after earlier deployment called off

US President Donald Trump said on Thursday he was sending 5,000 troops to Poland, after Washington said an earlier planned deployment had been called off amid pressure on Europe to fend for itself.

Trump said the move was based on his relationship with Poland’s president Karol Nawrocki, a nationalist ally whom he said he was “proud to endorse” in elections that Nawrocki won last year.

“I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said on his Truth Social network.

Advertisement

Trump did not give further details, but his comments appeared to refer to a deployment of several thousand US troops to Poland whose fate has been unclear for several days.

Last week US officials said the deployment of 4,000 US forces to Poland had been scrapped, the latest move by Trump’s administration to slash troop numbers and punish Nato allies for not helping with the US-Israel war on Iran.

Advertisement

Then Vice-President J.D. Vance said on Tuesday that the deployment of the 4,000 troops had been delayed, not cancelled, adding that Trump had not made a “final determination”.

  

Read More

Leave a Reply