2 men charged with creating AI-generated porn under new US law targeting ‘deepfakes’

Federal prosecutors have charged two men with using artificial intelligence to create nude videos and photos of female celebrities under a newly enacted law meant to halt the spread of deepfake pornography.

Cornelius Shannon, 51, and Arturo Hernandez, 20, were both arrested on Tuesday for generating sexually explicit AI content that drew millions of views online, according to criminal complaints.

The men – who do not appear to be connected – are among the earliest defendants to face charges under the Take It Down Act, a law signed last year by US President Donald Trump that adds stricter penalties for publishing AI-created deepfakes and “revenge porn”. The bill drew bipartisan support, as well as the public backing of first lady Melania Trump.

Advertisement

Under the new law, the men now face two years in prison.

Lawyers for Shannon and Hernandez did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Advertisement

In a statement, Joseph Nocella, the US attorney in Brooklyn, said the men had “used cutting-edge digital technology to create images that degraded and violated” dozens of women. “This case makes clear that posting deepfake pornography is not a victimless crime,” he said.

US President Donald Trump and Melania Trump, the first lady, at the White House in Washington. Photo: Zuma Press Wire / dpa
US President Donald Trump and Melania Trump, the first lady, at the White House in Washington. Photo: Zuma Press Wire / dpa

  

Read More

Leave a Reply