Published: 7:17am, 2 Mar 2025Updated: 7:36am, 2 Mar 2025
Israel will adopt the proposal by US President Donald Trump’s envoy, Steve Witkoff, for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods, the prime minister’s office said early on Sunday, hours after the first phase of the previously agreed ceasefire was set to expire.
Advertisement
On the first day of Witkoff’s proposal, half of the hostages held in Gaza, both alive and dead, will be released, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said, adding the remaining hostages will also be released after a permanent ceasefire was agreed on.
Witkoff made the proposal to extend the current ceasefire after realising more time was needed for talks on a permanent ceasefire, Netanyahu’s office added.
Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem earlier on Saturday said the group rejected Israel’s “formulation” of extending the first phase of the ceasefire in Gaza, but did not explicitly mention Witkoff’s plan.

Netanyahu’s office said Israel would immediately conduct negotiations on Witkoff’s plan if Hamas agreed to it.
Advertisement