Indonesia’s defense minister said on May 19 that a letter of intent signed last month with U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth did not commit Jakarta to granting U.S. military aircraft access to Indonesian airspace.
The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country’s territorial integrity, the need for a mechanism if Indonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws, Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin told a parliamentary hearing.
“We made not a single commitment with the U.S. on airspace,” Sjamsoeddin said. ”We uphold the constitution and our national interests.”
Sjamsoeddin said the partnership includes modernizing Indonesia’s military, but “it does not mention any military equipment.” He said the United States would help train Indonesian soldiers….
Indonesia Defense Minister Says No Deal Reached on US Military Access to Airspace

