Hong Kong is expected to start banning flavoured smoking products next year at the earliest but will wait to tackle menthol ones, the Post has learned.
Advertisement
A source said on Tuesday the government would submit an amendment bill covering the changes to the legislature towards the end of the month.
Authorities would also propose banning smoking within three metres (9.8 feet) of entrances of specific premises, such as schools and hospitals, the insider said.
The government planned to gradually implement 10 control measures that were first announced in June last year.
“They will be launched … but in phases,” the source said.
Advertisement
One of the initial proposals was to ban the sale of flavoured tobacco, starting with non-menthol options such as fruit flavours.