Bodies of 2 Italian divers recovered from ‘well inside’ underwater cave in Maldives

Finnish divers on Tuesday recovered the bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, an official said.

The bodies were located on Monday, when searches resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

Five Italian divers went missing on Thursday, with one of the bodies recovered earlier. The plan is to recover the remaining two bodies on Wednesday.

Advertisement

The announcement that two bodies were recovered on Tuesday was made by presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef.

Members of Maldives’ National Defence Force prepare to take part in a search and recovery operation for four Italian scuba divers in the waters off Vaavu Atoll on Saturday. Photo: Maldives President’s Office/Reuters
Members of Maldives’ National Defence Force prepare to take part in a search and recovery operation for four Italian scuba divers in the waters off Vaavu Atoll on Saturday. Photo: Maldives President’s Office/Reuters

Maldives government spokesman Ahmed Shaam had earlier said that the three Finnish divers would retrieve the bodies, which were lying at a depth of around 60 metres (200 feet). The legal depth for recreational diving in the Maldives is 30 metres.

Advertisement

The government of the Indian Ocean island nation on Monday said that the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by the three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.

  

Read More

Leave a Reply