The Hong Kong government’s HK$60,000 (US$7,710) subsidy for victims of the Tai Po fire is only for residents living in Wang Fuk Court, the home affairs minister has clarified amid alleged cases of abuse online.
Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs Alice Mak Mei-kuen said on Saturday that authorities had not received any formal abuse reports so far and vowed to look into any that arise in the future.
“This subsidy is for those affected residents, households living in the court during the mega fire. So, no matter a tenant or an owner, whoever [lives] in the court during this incident, they are eligible for these cash subsidies,” she said.
Advertisement
“Anyone who applies for the subsidy has to sign papers to confirm their eligibility. If anyone makes a false report, we will pass the case to the relevant department.”
Her clarification followed a social media post that said a tenant living in Wang Cheong House was not able to apply for the government’s subsidy.
Advertisement
The internet user said the flat owner had registered for the money and only offered to share part of the subsidy with the tenant.

