123 dead, 130 missing in Sri Lanka after cyclone wreaks havoc

The death toll from heavy floods and mudslides caused by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka rose to 123, with 130 people still missing, authorities said Saturday.

Nearly 44,000 people have been displaced and are in temporary shelters, the South Asian country’s disaster management centre said.

The death toll is expected to rise. Social media posts on Saturday showed several areas affected by overnight mudslides that authorities have yet to reach.

Advertisement

Sri Lanka has been battered by severe weather since last week and the conditions worsened on Thursday, with heavy downpours that flooded homes, fields and roads and triggered landslides mainly in the tea-growing central hill country.

The government closed schools and offices and postponed examinations.

A man distributes bread to flood victims on the outskirts of Colombo on Saturday. At least 123 people have died after a cyclone hit their country. Photo: AFP
A man distributes bread to flood victims on the outskirts of Colombo on Saturday. At least 123 people have died after a cyclone hit their country. Photo: AFP

Most reservoirs and rivers have overflowed, blocking roads. Authorities stopped passenger trains and closed roads in many parts of the country after rocks, mud and trees fell on roads and railway tracks.

  

Read More

Leave a Reply