Manhunt launched for 3 assailants who attacked, robbed Hongkonger of HK$90,000 in botched abduction

Hong Kong police have launched a manhunt for at least three assailants who robbed a 30-year-old man of HK$90,000 (US$11,502) in a botched abduction in the New Territories.

A source familiar with the case said the assault happened when the victim was out with his 23-year-old girlfriend in Yuen Long in the early hours of Wednesday.

The man, as well as his girlfriend and their friend, was on his way to pick up his vehicle on Yat San Street when a red car suddenly pulled up and three men carrying a knife and two wooden bats jumped out of it, he added.

The victim was taken to Pok Oi Hospital for treatment. Photo: Dickson Lee

“The group threatened the man with weapons in an attempt to force him into their car,” the insider said. “But the victim refused to comply and was subsequently assaulted by the assailants.”

Police said the victim managed to run off during the scuffle. He sustained injuries to his head, back and hands and was sent to Pok Oi Hospital in Yuen Long for treatment. His girlfriend and their friend escaped the incident unhurt.

2 more arrested over 37-second, HK$39 million robbery of Hong Kong watch store

The attackers snatched the victim’s bag containing the cash before they fled in their car, according to the force.

Officers mounted a search, but no arrests were made.

Police said the victim managed to run off during the scuffle. Photo: Warton Li

Police are treating the case as robbery. Detectives from the Yuen Long anti-triad squad are investigating the case.

On Tuesday last week, a 29-year-old man, who runs a car wash company, was robbed of HK$200,000 after his car was intercepted in Tin Shui Wai at around 5am. Three robbers fled in a Mercedes-Benz.

Hong Kong police arrest 3 mainland Chinese over thefts ‘as they try to flee city’

On January 2, a 47-year-old man was robbed of a paper bag containing HK$218,000 in an attack by two assailants at the junction of Shanghai Street and Jordan Road in Yau Ma Tei at around 12.30am. Police said the two robbers fled in a taxi after the mugging.

In the first 10 months of last year, police handled 85 reports of robbery, a 32.8 per cent increase compared with the 64 cases logged in the same period in 2022.



Read More

Leave a Reply